Tuesday, July 8, 2014

New York City & New Jersey Suburban


Josh joined us for the weekend and it was so great to see him. The 3 of us haven't seen him since Christmas. The excitement getting on the train was pretty high.


Again, riding the train was pretty high up on Gaëlle's list of things to do.




Ellen wanted to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and so that was the plan for the day. Peter loves art and was excited and Gaëlle just wanted to be with the group.


The Egyptian display is always a hit.


Another photo opportunity. The Impressionist Art is fairly easy to recognize so Gaëlle wanted her picture taken with one by Van Gogh.


Dad and Treena went on a bus tour around the city. We ate our lunch of the steps of the Met and watched many buses go past. It was a beautiful day and I think I would enjoy a bus tour if there was a guide who could tell more than the name of a building but could also share some history and unique points of interest. 


It was a gorgeous day.


I love to see artists around the museum. This man seemed too good to be true. When he asked me if I wanted to buy his drawing, I wondered if he was a scam artist. I googled him and lots of people have taken photos of the same man with the same sketch occasionally using the pencil for a little shading. But who knows.


The rooftop garden is worth the visit. 


This was probably the craziest thing I saw. We were in one of the Ancient Asian displays and there was a stuffed deer with glass bubbles glued on. This was created in 2011. Hardly ancient Asian. 


Around 3:00 we split our group into 2. Gaëlle had a bit of luck and found $20 on the floor of the museum. I wanted to stop at American Girl Place but didn't want to overwhelm her. She was anxious to spend her money and happy to see AG dolls in all their boxed glory. 

I was completely impressed by her. The place was packed and she enjoyed looking but she didn't ask me to buy her anything. And believe me, every other girl in there was raking in the AG trinkets. She was just so pleased to be able to spend her own money. She came away with a movie; Molly and she was truly pleased with her purchase. 


I don't know if you can tell but this is a Joe Fresh store. On 5th Avenue. Joe Fresh is a grocery store brand here in Canada. I found it kind of funny.


We happened upon a street fair where Gaëlle was able to spend the rest of her money buying a bracelet for Ellen. A happy Canadian/Haitian Girl. If I ever get my act together she will even be an American Girl. 


Ruth took the rest of the crew to China Town. They had a great time and came home with some dragon fruit and lychee fruit. After all, that is Ellen's favourite. 


The weather was perfect the whole time we were there. Sunday we went to church with my parents. This is the whole group.


The kids had a lot of fun playing games with each other. I don't even know what they are doing here but you can see they are pretty intent.



My dad BBQ'd and the pork chops were very good. Peter of course, ate and ate. But even Gaëlle who only asked for a little bit, ended up eating 1 1/2 pork chops. Very tasty. 


We spent some time in the afternoon at the Watchung Reservation. An enterprising young lady was selling lemonade and cookies for only 25 cents each. Josh took off late afternoon but I'm so glad he was able to make it and spend some time with us. 


 We all gathered round for some MOLLY movie time. Look who is smiling? She is pretty happy with herself.



The kids loved the Crokinol board game and spent the entire evening laughing and fighting it out. 


No comments: