Friday, June 8, 2012

A Year Older

With so many different obligations throughout the week, it was great to sit down once again as a family for a birthday celebration. This time it was Robin's special moment. We are so blessed to have him in our lives as a husband, father, and friend. He really is our rock and our soft place to land. People have frequently asked me over the years what I did to deserve him. I don't know why we have it so good compared to others, but I'm so thankful. And because we want him to stick around for a while longer, this birthday was a heart healthy one. He loves all kinds of battered and fried seafood but especially scallops. I stayed clear of the grease and I found a recipe for scallops with a fruit salsa. It was easy and good. Then I came across a 5 Layer Cake recipe which I altered slightly but it was still heart healthy and low fat. The ricotta cheese layer called for 4 cups of ricotta. That seemed like a bit much to me so I cut the quantities in half. And I just toasted some almonds and walnuts for the crunchy layer. I omitted the oats and flaxseed. I liked it. The taste was good. I suppose my criticism would be that the taste was too mild. Peter gave his dad a frame just waiting for a photo of the 2 of them together. I think we'll use this one. Emily and Kaylin finished off the evening with a final corsage for one of the local proms this weekend. Emily's fund raising for Julia has gone well but she is taking some summer courses so has not had a lot of time. She still managed to pull this off and do well in her classes. We're so proud of her and all of her hard work. Overall, a wonderful day.

No comments: