Sunday, January 17, 2010

A different kind of horror

I spend time every week with a lady helping her with English. Her goal is to learn enough English to be able to work. She has a long road ahead of her. She's a smart person, but she is illiterate in her native language and so doesn't have basic literacy skills to transfer over.

This week I have been consumed with Haiti and the horrors happening there. But I still prepared myself and met with my English learner and I'm so glad I did. We were discussing clothes and she started telling me about her life before Canada. She shared her struggles wearing the burka and she shared the story of how her husband died (was killed). My heart just broke for her and once again, I was amazed with her courage and strength coming to Canada.

I want to help her, but there's so little that I can do. However, I'm more determined than ever to work with her no matter what the next few weeks or months hold. She deserves all that Canada has to offer and so much more.

No comments: