Sunday, January 31, 2010

Children of trauma

Last night Robin and I were sitting on the couch with Peterson & Gaelle having a quiet moment. Peterson started sharing some of his memories from when the houses moved... the earthquake. He just spoke matter of factly about who was where and what he was doing and how he felt. He asked if houses moved here. Then out of the blue he started sharing some of his story with us. We really didn't expect that until he felt more comfortable with us. But again, it was just all matter of fact. I asked questions and he answered. However, during the conversation it became apparent that a psychiatrist would have a field day with what he was saying. We were stunned. Other parents have shared regrets about not seeking counselling sooner. This just emphasized for us that both kids have trauma in their lives and the earthquake just adds another layer to that. Because Peterson speaks English so well, we are definitely going to pursue this.

Gaelle also had a moment last night. Out of the blue she just started crying... the deep body wracking sobs. I just held her and prayed over her, singing softly and gently rocking. Both kids are experiencing so many new things. The experts say to limit their world... keep it small. This will be easy with Gaelle because she clearly does not want to venture far. However, with Peterson, it will be a more difficult balance. At this point he wants to see and experience everything. Hopefully we'll walk have discernment when it comes towards him.



Last night Robin showed the kids how to make silly faces with the webcam. It was good for some laugst.



This morning Gaelle and I didn't go to church. Instead, we baked some cookies.


And we washed some floors. Good times.

3 comments:

Janice Rand said...

I see the back pack is gone. What a privilege you have to pour your lives and faith into these two beautiful children. You and the Lord will help them heal.
Blessings and love to you.
Janice

Jaime said...

Congratulations Beth. Though this was not how we would have imagined uniting with our children, praise God that they are finally safe at home. I was praying for you and the Canadian government so much wanting your beautiful children home with you.

I have to say that I am a little jealous of Peterson's English skills... we do not have that here. I often wonder how Jean Dany and Danise are feeling, what the earthquake was like, and all sorts of other questions, but I guess those will have to wait.

I wish we could have met you somehow through this, but I will keep following your blog. I'm sure JD & D would love to see your pictures of Peterson and Gaelle, so I'll have to show them soon.

Hugs to you from Iowa.

Laurie said...

I don't know why I'm just coming over to your blog...so glad I did. I have always thought your kiddos are just precious, from the first picture I saw of them with your referral. So glad they are home! How old are they now?