Monday, June 4, 2007

Dossier is done... I hope


International adoption is not for the faint of heart, as I have found out. So far we have had extreme highs and lows. Mentally I review all the steps in my mind and I place a date that I think each step can be achieved. I try to be realistic and yet I have to change the dates often.

But we have reached a HUGE milestone in our process. Our dossier ( complete package of documents that we collect about our family) is finally finished, authenticated and on its way to Haiti. We drove to our provincial agency today and dropped the dossier off. The agency will Fed Ex it to Haiti.

I can't believe how this makes me feel. Scared. Excited. Nervous. Anxious. Ecstatic. Just the whole gamut of emotions. But mentally this is so important for me because it's the end of the Canadian side. I know that we still have a long wait ahead of us. Possibly up to 2 years, hopefully around 1 year.

Time line
so far

1. application to provincial agency - July 25, 2006

2. start home study - September 28, 2006

3. Dossier complete & sent to be authenticated - April 3, 2007

4. dossier sent to Haiti - June 4, 2007

The next big step is the referral of children. That goes through our provincial agency and upon acceptance by us, the orphanage starts the process in Haiti. We'll continue to ask God for patience and for His perfect timing. We'll continue to thank God for the way He's guided us through this process so far. But today we're sending up a big note of praise for the passage of this milestone.

No comments: