Monday, May 5, 2014

Another First



Today was another step in our precocious puberty journey. It was the day of the MRI. This was just to rule out other reasons for the early puberty. Unfortunately, We didn't have a lot of prep for the procedure. When we received the appointment, they didn't give us a lot of details and I didn't get my questions answered. But we have had great experiences at the IWK. The staff have treated us well and  I knew once we got to the MRI area, it would be no different. 

I had to fill out a few forms and this is when Gaëlle started showing her anxiety. The questions started. The technician was very nice and let us know what to expect. Gaëlle found the room cold so they brought her a heated blanket. Jealous. I love those!!!! She also got to choose a movie to watch. The machine is loud so she wore earphones to block out the noise and to provide the sound to the movie as well as audio to the technician. The movie was in the glasses that she wore. She was also given a call button so that if she ever felt like she needed something she could press it and the technician would talk to her. 

She was laying down on the bed, covered with the blanket and she started crying. She told us her stomach hurt. I was actually so proud of her. She never lets us know when she is legitimately scared and this time she did. I affirmed her and said that it was hard not to know exactly what was going to happen. I really didn't know either, but the technician has done this a lot and we could trust her. It only took her a few minutes to calm down. She was slid into the machine and it started. 

She did so well. Towards the end, she had a needle to inject dye so they could trace the blood flow. I think. She wasn't thrilled with that either, but she handled it like a trooper. 

Anyway, now we wait for the results. I'm not expecting anything, but at least we will know for sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hugs to both you and Gaelle, Beth!!
Carol