Thursday, January 31, 2013

PG Day 2013




 January 27, 2013 was our 3rd year anniversary of Peter and Gaëlle coming to Canada and joining our family for good. It's so hard to believe all that has gone on in the past 3 years. Most celebrations revolve around food in this family so we asked the kids how they wanted to celebrate.


Peter wanted to eat ribs and Gaëlle wanted to eat pizza. Because the 27th landed on a Sunday we decided to go out to eat after church. So both kids could have their choice of food.

Peter had no problem demolishing the ribs. He wasn't as crazy about the veggies.


Gaëlle changed her mind once we were at the restaurant and chose a chicken rice dish. 



We actually shared a couple of desserts.


These happy moments in our lives also come with a bit of sadness. 3 years ago Peter and Gaëlle said goodbye to everything and everybody they had ever known. They said goodbye to their country of birth and their native language. I will never cease to be amazed by their courage and bravery. In the past 3 years they have tried more new things. They have embraced their new family and their new country. They have been enthusiastic participants in school and church. 

A lot of the experts say that 3 years is the magic period of time for kids to assimilate in their new families. I think we have felt like a solid family for at least a year now. Probably longer. The experts also say there are ebbs and flows to this adoption life. Peter and Gaëlle have not done a lot of questioning about their situation. But as they age, the questions and doubts will certainly hit them hard at times and we will probably feel the brunt of that. There are moments when my fears hit me hard. Sometimes I fear the future and the unknowns. 

But I will continue to turn to my word for 2013. GRATEFUL. I am so blessed and grateful to be the mother to 5 unique and amazing children. I am thankful to be sharing this journey with my amazing partner and husband. No matter what the future brings, I pray that I will focus on the blessings of my life. The blessings of this family. And I will never forget January 27, 2010.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your last paragraphs are touching and emotional. Yes, I am thankful that Peter and Gaelle are family. They are my blessings, too, and I'm grateful. Grandma