Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sweet little boy



We had been told over and over how wonderful Peterson was. He loves his little sister and will do anything for her. He's so generous and always thinks of his friends, wanting to share special treats with them.

We certainly got to see his sweet side. But we also got to see his gentle playful side. We taught him how to play dominoes and we spent many hours with him. The cutest thing ever was hearing him say, "I cannot go."




We were allowed to spend time with the children in the room upstairs and on the outside balcony. Peterson rarely wanted to go down to the playground and play with the other kids, but happily amused himself with the toys upstairs. It was great to see him imaginative play come to life.



I'm thrilled with his love for reading. He loves to be read to and I can already picture many hours sharing some of our favorite books with him and discovering new favorite books.

Did I mention how much I enjoyed reading to Peterson and listening to him read? He did so well and his English is so much better than I expected. He shared his writing journal with us and I have a few favorite entries.

Writing Prompt: What job do you want to do when you are older?
Answer: I want to be boss of Vacation Bible School.

Writing Prompt: What will you do to help Haiti when you are grown up?
Answer: I will pray for the children of Haiti and will give out ice cream. Red ice cream.



Joyce and Molly would check in with us periodically and I think it gave Peterson a sense of security to settle in with Joyce from time to time. She is so good to the kids and with the kids. So laid back and yet so on top of things. A real gift.




I loved to witness his natural curiosity... about us, his new life, and the world around him. He was so full of questions and I would love to just sit and talk with him. Both kids enjoyed seeing themselves on the video and also some footage we had of our family get together in August. It's always amazing to see the wheels turning in Peterson's mind as he puts things together. I know we're going to have fun.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Wow, Beth. He sounds like an amazing child. I spoke to him for a couple of minutes during our visit last October. He was very kind and quick to show me who his sister was. I can not wait to hear the stories you will share on the other side of this adoption! I wonder what God has planned for his life? What a blessing to know you will share in it!!!