Sunday, September 20, 2009

Haiti - Meeting the kids



Somebody asked me what my expectations were from this trip. I really tried to stay low key and keep my expectations low. The purpose of the trip was to sign so we could exit courts. Meeting the kids at this point in the process was completely unexpected so I didn't know what would happen.

Needless to say, the heat assails you when you walk out of the airplane at Port au Prince. Because we only had carry on luggage, we made it through the airport without any hassle. The grey shirts didn't ask us once if we needed help with our luggage and once we were through, we saw Chery with a sign with our names on it. He took us to the GLA vehicle and driver, Wadsen, who had mad driving skills. We stopped at the US Consulate to wait for another adoptive family signing their 1600. After a brief wait, we made the trek up the mountain to the Main House. Eric, the social worker, was in the car with us and I enjoyed talking with him and getting to know a little of his life. He's another young man who is blessed with a warm gracious smile.

Did I mention mad driving skills? All of the GLA drivers impressed me with their calm in the face of sheer craziness.



After a quick lunch, we headed to the Toddler House to meet the kids for the very first time. We've "known" them for almost 2 years, but this was our first face to face meeting. Apparently, Peterson & Gaëlle had been anxiously awaiting our arrival. We were all a little shy at first, but some candy took away some of the edge and we all started warming up a bit. It really is hard to describe my feelings those first couple of hours. After feeling so disconnected from the kids for so long, I knew there wouldn't be an instant connection, but I still felt so far from their world, even though I was holding them and loving them.



Our afternoon flew by and we found ourselves in a rhythm. One of us following Gaëlle around and one of us chilling with Peterson. Then we switched. Gaëlle is just a bundle of energy. She loves to be the center of attention and loved to show off to the other kids her special treats. If Robin or I happened to pick up another child, she would become very possessive. If Robin or I happened to not want to do something she wanted, she would pout. But she also loves to laugh and has the most heart warming smile.



Peterson is just the picture of cool and calm. He loves to play games, read and be read to. During our time there, he also peppered me with all kinds of questions. At times, he was happy to just chill and talk. While Gaëlle made frequent trips to the playground to show me things or to show the kids things, Peterson was content to stay upstairs in the "special" room.




Around 5 we left the Toddler House and headed to the Main House for supper. There were 5 sets of adoptive parents signing and filing our various paperwork. Nobody was there bringing their kids home. Our supper table was also full of volunteers and GLA staff and the food was always delicious.




After supper we had about 10 minutes to scoot upstairs and see the baby rooms. Unfortunately we didn't take any pictures, but I'm glad I was able to see the GLA operation with my own eyes. It is amazing!!! The staff is amazing!!! I'll share more thoughts on all of that later.

Molly and Joyce blessed us all with another brief time with our children before the kids went to bed. 2 of the adoptive families were leaving the next day and so this was their good-bye.

Peterson & Gaëlle seemed happy to see us again and we enjoyed some more time together before we headed 2 doors up the street to the guest house. What a gorgeous spot looking out over the mountainside. It was a treat to wake up in the morning to a hot shower, and a cup of coffee relaxing on the balcony.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds and looks like a memorable trip.
we made ours in mid august.
the return back can be rough, so i will be thinking and praying for you.
cathleen
adopting jacob at gla

Gwen said...

Your post has me in tears. I'm so glad you were able to meet your children.
We all know how hard the wait is.
Praying you will be re-united with them VERY soon, and the end steps move along quickly.
Thanks for updating us through your blog and pictures! : )
Big Hugs.

Rebekah Hubley said...

Beth-

I am so glad that your trip went well. You better believe that I will be taking a photo of the 'blank' paper that we sign. absolutely crazy!!!!!! I will be sure to seek out your kiddos again. There are not a lot of kids left there that I have a 'personal' connection with... Which is good, that means they are home! I hope we fly through the rest of the stages, and who knows... maybe we will end up there together at the end!!! That would be great to finally meet one of my best prayer warriors!!!!! :-) Praying for your momma heart now that you are home!

Jill Wilkins said...

I enjoyed reading your update... We made our trip in July and it just takes me back when I get to read other posts. I am so glad you are safe and sound. I will be praying for you - I know the time to come is tough.

Jill, adopting Samuel Chancelet http://wilkinsadoption.blogspot.com/g

Brady and Heidi said...

Oh wow...it is so neat to read about meeting your kids Beth! They sound like two amazing children. Thanks for sharing your story! Heidi (adopting Trey Amos)