Tuesday, October 28, 2008

They grow up


My daughter is participating in "Take your child to work day" on November 5.  She didn't want to go with a parent because she's always been interested in medicine and neither parent works in that field.  But, we didn't find an adult to take our child to their workplace so... she's going with her father. 

When Kaylin initially confessed that she didn't want to go with her father she asked, "Can you really see me in law enforcement?"  To which her father responded, "Well, not right now, but 10 years from now, who knows?"

And my memories of her 10 years ago flooded back.  She was easily the most assertive of my young kids.  I was used to my babies passively watching other kids take their toys, but not Kaylin.  She fought back.  And she pushed her older siblings away with, "My mommy, not your mommy!!!"

Now, she is perceived as gentle and sweet and soft.  Not exactly police material. But like Robin says, who knows what 10 years will bring.



Then there's Josh.  For the first 15 years of his life I would have rated music as the least likely hobby my child will ever have.  I would have predicted a future as a medieval sword maker - we had lots of those floating around.  Or professional video game player.  But nothing to do with music.  Then the switch flipped and now he's passionate about music.  I never would have guessed but now it's hard to see his life without music.  How does that happen?

No matter what they choose to do with their lives, it will be fun to sit back and watch the journey.

No comments: