Friday, October 17, 2008

Some people just don't get it



My daughter graduates from high school this year.  So so hard to believe, but that's not what people don't get.  She has decided to take a year off from school and volunteer.   She is currently looking into a Christian organization in Thailand that works with physically and mentally disabled children.  Her unltimate goal is to go into physiotherapy, making a difference.

Earlier this week she was discussing some of this with her dance teacher, who's also helping her become a certified highland dance instructor. 

"Why would you want to do that? I'm sure you don't have to. I'm sure your grades are good enough for university."

I don't know my daughter's exact words, but she was a bit speechless.  Yes, she has excellent grades.  Yes, she can easily just go straight to university.  But she wants to make a difference.  She wants to help people.  Life seems meaningless when it's all about me, me, me.  What's hard to understand about that?

These are exciting times for my daughter as her dreams are starting to take shape... starting to look like a reality.  I'm so proud of her and her determination.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

I don't know your daughter, but I can tell that I like her thinking!!! Way to go in supporting your daughter through some tough decision making. I hope my girls grow up to have those types of dreams, too!

Anonymous said...

i think it is a wonderful dream your daughter has..we are already planting a similar seed in our son's 11 year old head!!!!

keri

Rebekah Hubley said...

It is people like her that make the world go around, and make it a better place! For a teenager to be excited about making a difference in the life of a child, that most people think of outcasts, just puts a big smile on my face!!! If she does this, she will need to start a blog, and I would love to follow her journey!