Friday, May 30, 2008

Grandma's kitchen


Lately, my dad has been talking about keeping the old homestead.  Sounds kind of countryish, doesn't it.  But it's just the house where he was born and raised and his dad was born and raised.  It has tons of memories for all of us.  

All I can remember is my grandparents always living there and always lots of people around.  My aunt also has lived there as long as I can remember, helping take care of things.  I know that my dad has lots of memories and he doesn't want to give them up.  He also always wants a place to call home.  

But as far as I'm concerned, it will just be a shell.  The thing that always made it special for me, was the incredible kitchen.  Not that it's a beautiful or cutesy kitchen.  It's quite plain and practical.  But the fire was always going.  Something was always baking.  Women were always working at something, usually in an apron.  People were alaways hanging out in one of the chairs or stools in the kitchen.  

I can't even imagine going there, with the door locked up, the place cold, and nobody home.  Nope, not for me.  Might as well sell the place.  But it's not my decision to make.  

This is a picture of Josh & Emily "helping" to shell lobsters.  

No comments: