Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A new month??? A new year???

II guess it's time to admit that a new year is here.  I'm not one to make resolutions but it would be nice if I would at least follow some of the goals I have for myself.  One of them was to write here... for myself and as an example for my daughter.  Not much of an example at the moment.

I'll start with a race related topic.  The media is full of Clinton (the woman) versus Obama ( the black man).  CNN even had a headline, "Gender or race: Black women voters face tough choices in South Carolina."  Apparently, readers reacted angrily, which provided another story for CNN.  So my question is this, "Isn't it sexist for somebody to NOT vote for somebody based on their gender?"  And, "Isn't it racist to NOT vote for somebody because of their race?"  

So why isn't it sexist to vote for somebody based on their gender?  And why isn't it racist to vote for somebody based on their race?  I know... I know... those who study racism have all these great definitions that just hurt my head to even think about.  Racism is all about power and who holds power. Those who have been marginalized and victimized can not be racist.  Well, I disagree.  If race or gender is the sole factor, it is racist or sexist.  

Obviously, those 2 factors can come into play.  A woman understands issues that are important to me better than a man, or so the arguement goes.  I've seen situations where this just doesn't hold true.  My husband is in law enforcement.  Often, woman are given files dealing with children and sexual assault.  But my husband, a man, has often been more effective and compassionate with these kids, according to the social workers.  

I believe that in politics, and in all relationships, we need to look at the person.  We have to take all of their experience, their beliefs, yes, even their actions into account.  I wasn't even alive when Martin Luther King, Jr.  gave his inspiring speech, "I have a dream".  
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.


Nothing more can be said.  

No comments: