Monday, September 27, 2010

Reading on the bus

After a wonderful summer at home, I went back to work last month. I'm working in downtown Halifax with no parking benefits so I've been taking the bus again. I really don't mind it. It gives me the chance to read. And with all the warm weather, I've had fun sitting outside during lunch and eating my lunch and reading a book.

So, what have I read lately? None of them have been duds.



I had read so many rave reviews about The Help by Kathryn Stockett, so I was anxious to finally read this. I loved it. It was easy to read but also heart breaking and thought provoking. It's easy for me to look back at the culture portrayed in the book as racist and bigoted. But would I have the courage and backbone to go against my upbringing and face complete rejection from my family and friends in order to do the right thing?



Sarah's Key was a complete surprise. I just picked it up cold from the library. This is such a compelling story. I found myself tearing up several times because the story is just so tragic. Loved, loved, loved it.



This was mentioned on an adoption blog but I'm sorry that I can't remember which one. Usually I have to read books that are not very heavy on the bus. My attention span isn't that great with all of the distractions and noises, so I did end up skimming portions of this book. Probably the biggest idea I gleaned from this book is the idea that kids with trauma in their past are developmentally all over the place. They may have abilities in some areas that are far ahead of their peers, but then are so far behind developmentally in other areas. Not rocket science but one of the biggest challenges I face... allowing for those areas where the kids lag behind.



This last book was actually the first book I read when I went back to work. This was one my mom left behind for me and it really opened my eyes to a part of the world and a time period that I am woefully ignorant of. I was not aware of the conflict between Korea and Japan and the extent Japan went to to subdue the Korean people. A fascinating story.

No comments: