Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A yogic diet

Kaylin is loving her yoga and because of her gymnastics background, she is so flexible and strong, which means she can do all the advanced moves. So this week she has decided to add to her yoga experience and try the yogic diet. As she understands it, the idea is to eat fresh and unprocessed foods. She will also eat dairy products and seafood products, altho that will not be a pure yogic experience.

I initially thought this would be super easy for our family but it's actually not. I didn't think I used all that many processed foods, but I do. I use canned tomatoes in so many recipes. And we eat a lot of pasta. I could buy fresh tomatoes and stew them myself. But I won't. And I could make home made pasta. But I won't. I frequently make my own bread, as does Kaylin, so that won't be so hard, except I'll still use my enriched white flour.

Tonight's meal which Kaylin can't have. I think I'll set aside a little of everything except the canned tomatoes & beans and she can just add fresh tomatoes & maybe lentils to her taste.:

Curried Vegetable Stew - serves 4
1 large sweet potato chopped - 12 oz
1 medium onion chopped
1 medium zucchini chopped - 8 oz
small green pepper diced
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
15-19 oz garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
14.5 oz diced tomatoes
3/4 c. veggie broth
1/2 tsp. salt

Sautee veggies in oil until soft- 10 minutes. Add seasonings - 2 minutes. Add additional ingredients and simmer covered until tender, but not soggy - about 10 minutes.

I serve over brown rice.

No comments: