Friday, October 2, 2009

Cuddling a baby



GLA has wonderful volunteer oportunities. Because it is so important for each child to receive love and physical contact, they have a cuddling program. Volunteers come for a minimum of 2 weeks and are assigned 8 babies. The volunteer spends one hour with each baby just loving, holding, playing, singing, and nurturing. With any free time, the volunteer can go back and spend more time with the babies.

We didn't get a chance to spend much time at the baby house but we did have some time one afternoon. Patricia from France was with us and she had some presents from some other parents in France to give out. I didn't take any pictures of that, but it was sooooo much fun to see. Melanie and the short term volunteers get the babies all dressed up and then they help them play with their new toys and turn the pages in their photo albums. And Melanie takes the pictures. It really is fun to watch the entire process.

Because Robin and I were there unexpectedly, we didn't know who we were allowed to cuddle. So Nurse Susan pointed us in the right direction. So we took our 2 babies and headed up to the balcony with all the toys, rocking chairs, and mats. It was a beautiful time... totally addictive! I highly recommend baby cuddling at GLA to anyone who wants to make a difference in a child's life.

7 comments:

xandra en peter said...

You missed cuddling a sweet girl in the toddlerhouse!!!;-)
You really can't miss her; she is having a glow around her, when she is smiling to you , you can feel it in your heart, it warms you! It's Fanita Bandita!!!
Please say also Hi to her, and tell her her daddy and mommy love her so much!!
It seems you are having a great time in GLA! :0)
Xandra

Jill Wilkins said...

I think that is Anri (Jacob) you are holding, in the red stripes! (Cathleen's little one...) Yay for cuddling time!

Hope you are well!
Jill

Anonymous said...

that is my baby!!! what did he do to his little arm?
thank you for loving him!!!!
Cathleen

Anonymous said...

Hi again!
if you have any more pics or any stories or anything to say about that cutie you are with, will you email me? i know you know how any morsel of info is food for the soul.
thanks for posting this.
cathleen

cathleengramer@hotmail.com

Jaime said...

I agree, our time was also highly addictive. I would go back in a heartbeat!!!

Brady and Heidi said...

Hey I think Anri Jacob is wearing Trey Amos' baseball outfit with the baseball on the bum! so cute. Glad we got some boys' clothes down there, eh girls??? Heidi

Christina said...

I volunteered at GLA for a month 2 summers ago- it was one of the greatest things I have ever done. Though it could be physically exhausting, it was well worth it especially when one of my sweet babies would reach for me from her crib and cling to me. I hope your children come home very soon.