Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Summer is here


The celebrations have not been all that big in our house lately. There is just too much going on and Father's Day was no exception. I couldn't seem to get my act together and make much happen. However,  for Father's Day Kaylin made her dad an amazing blueberry lemon cake with cream cheese icing. Yum.


My parents came for a few days last week. It was great to have them. Gaëlle especially enjoyed some extra attention and family game time. 



My mom is the queen of creativity and parties and she always has these amazing "theme" meals. So we decided to throw a "It's Summer" party. 


We made s'more ice cream cones. Just add chocolate & peanut butter chips, Rolos, and mini marshmallows to waffle cones. Wrap in tin foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes. If you are lucky enough to be around a campfire, they can be heated up at the edge of the fire. 


It melted leaving enough room for ice cream. Easy and good.


I found a game on Pinterest which involved making marshmallow shooters out of Dixie Cups. It was difficult to control the marshmallows, but it provided a few laughs. 

My mom often does some kind of gift exchange so I headed to the local Thrift store and came back with some inexpensive gifts. I also gave the kids only a bag of candy. After all, "It's SUMMER."




The reason my parents came last week was a memorial for a relative of my dad's. The service was nice and it was great to have some of my extended family over for supper. 


We took a few photos on the back deck in the sun.


Smiles all around. 


Our summer flowers have been really slow coming out. This past weekend the Lupines were putting on their show. I just love the purples and pinks and will definitely miss this sign of the end of spring and the beginning of summer when we are in Haiti. But for now, we will enjoy our Maritime summer. 

No comments: